1. Install WordPress. Not using WordPress? Then don’t read further.
I will not go into detail with customizing your WordPress installation as there are many articles about these practices, some of them right inside your WP dashboard, although I could mention setting up your permalinks, activating your SE visibility, installing SEO Pack, XML Sitemap Generator and more.
2. Install FeedBurner plugin.
3. Add your blog to Google Webmaster Tools and add a sitemap.
4. Add your blog to Yahoo SiteExplorer and add a sitemap and a feed.
5. Add your blog to MSN Live Webmaster Tools (or something like that) – you’ll need a Hotmail or Live account.
6. Register your blog with Technorati.
7. Register your blog with BlogCatalog (it works really good for me).
Take care though to have enough content on your new blog (something like 10 articles), or you’ll end up with a reply like this:
“Unfortunately upon reviewing your blog we are unable to grant it access to the directory. Your blog was declined for the following reason: Your blog is brand new and/or doesn’t have enough content to make it truly valuable. If this is the case, please resubmit after you have made more postings.”
8. Register your blog with MyBlogLog.
9. Add pinging services.
10. Start writing articles.
11. Use tags.
12. Start commenting on blogs and forums.
Once a week or so we send an email with our best content. We never bug you, we just send you our latest piece of content.
If you found any value in this post, agree, disagree, or have anything to add - please do. I use comments as my #1 signal for what to write about. Read our comment policy before commenting! Comments such as "Thank you!", "Awesome!", "You're the man!" are either marked as spam or stripped from URL.